Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Learning to live in weakness

"I don't know if you can afford to have a pastor as broken as me."

So confessed Pastor Joe Novenson to his Session after 10 years of marriage and ministry.  How did his Elders respond?

"If God is burning you, we're going to pray that He burns you white-hot."

And they gave him a sabbatical to get to know his God and his wife for three months.  Joe says that those men gave him his ministry, and he will be indebted to them for the next 5 billion years of eternity.

Whatever we do in our candidacy and ministry, we must learn to face our brokenness like Joe, and to serve one another like Joe's Elders.

Technorati Tags: , ,

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ed, do you know how I could find out more about Joe Novenson's story? I had a similar thing happen to me in a previous church.

thank you,

Michael MacCaughelty
michael@monpres.org