Looking at the research a bit more deeply, this effect is surprisingly stark. Here are some statistics:
- 11% of my survey's respondents did not begin their candidacy until AFTER graduation!
- 9% began their search less than 3 months before graduation
- For those who started at graduation, 60% of them required more than 3 months to place, and 80% of these took more than 6 months to place
- 50% of those who began 3 months or less before graduating were placed by their graduation
- Even those who began 4-6 months before graduation struggled: 40% of these were still without a call by the time of graduation
This would have been a good change:
- Of those who began their search 7 or more months prior to graduation, only 11% were not placed by the time they graduated
- Less than 3% of these were still without a call within 3 months of graduation.