Friday, January 05, 2007

Thoughts on leaving a job

Michael Hyatt, CEO of Thomas Nelson Publishing, has written a good post on his blog about what to do before you quit your job (to leave for another).  Since I recently "left" my job, I was interested to see some of his ideas.

Hyatt's thoughts are more relevant in a corporate/secular job setting than within the church, but still there are some good take-aways.  Maybe the best thing he offers is a reality check about your current job:
"Count the cost of leaving your present job. Someone once said, "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. But sometimes we forget: it still has to be mowed!” How true. Every job has it’s pluses and minuses. Even for me, there are days that I would give anything to go back to being an acquisitions editor. And then I remember what it was like. I had bad days there, too. The key is to be realistic. To me, it’s more important to be going toward something rather than moving away from something. "
Read Hyatt's thoughts here.

Technorati Tags:

No comments: