Friday, February 27, 2009

Clergy tax preparation

As I have mentioned before, being in ordained pastoral ministry affords a number of wonderful tax benefits. It also brings a number of tax peculiarities. (This is doubly true if you have chosen to opt out of Social Security and the rest.)

Having access to a good CPA or tax preparer-- and one who is familiar with clergy tax law-- is a great help. The trouble is, they can sometimes be difficult to find.

I know of three:
  • Deborah Lee, St. Louis, MO. 314-821-2560.
  • Doug Neal, Columbia, SC 29204. (803) 787-7017.
  • Brenda Paoni, Cordova, TN 38018. (901) 757-8866.

Deborah recently wrote a short tax guide for seminary students for I don't know her personally, but she's a graduate of my seminary alma mater, and we know some people in common. I've known Doug for years, and he has prepared my taxes before. Brenda currently handles our taxes. All three should be able to help you with yours, if you find yourself in need of a tax preparer who is acquainted with the nuances of clergy tax law.


Anonymous said...

Also, Clergy Financial Resources at

Ed Eubanks said...

Great-- thanks for this recommendation. I had not seen it before.